As with some of my other recipes, you can swap out ingredients:
Honey or other sugar friendly syrup
I have a gingerbread star tree set of cutters.
The recipe for gingerbread comes from the BBC website
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Sieve the flour, salt, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Heat the butter, sugar and syrup until dissolved.
- Leave the sugar mixture to cool slightly, then mix into the dry ingredients to form a dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 mins.
- On a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out the dough to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Stamp out the gingerbread shapes with a cutter, then re-roll any off-cuts and repeat.
- Place your gingerbread shapes on the lined trays, allowing space for them to spread.
- Bake for 10-15 mins, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Build your tree