This is one of my mother’s recipes and a favourite of my Dads.
I find it harder to make these days by hand, so use a food mixer for blending.
As you can see, my mother was an old pro at cooking and a lot of her measurements were by eye. So you will need to use your judgement on the ingredients that aren’t measured.
- 8 tablespoons (125ml) Self Raising flour
- 4 oz (100g) marg
- 2 oz (50g) lard
- 6 level tablespoons of sugar
- mixed dried fruit
- 1 Egg (beaten) to brush with
- Preheat the oven to 180/190C or 50/75F/Gas mark 4/5
- Grease an 8 x 12″ baking tin
- Rub the marg, lard and flour together
- Add the sugar and fruit
- Mix with milk to a soft slightly sticky dough
- Roll out and place in the baking tin
- Beat the egg and a splash of milk and then use to brush the top of the shortcake mixture
- Bake 25/30 minutes or until golden brown. (Use a skewer to check it is cooked through)